Being in the business of iPhone mounting solutions for runners, we are often asked about the best iPhone apps to use whilst running. Naturally we all have our favourite, but today we thought we would give you a quick review of what we thought were the Top 5 Running Apps.
Here they are in no particular order:
(Premium $6.49 per month / $64.99 per year) Apple Watch Version available
Strava has all the standard statistics and data you need for tracking your runs . With the ability to:
- Check your speed and distance / elevation / heart rate (via separate HR monitor)
- Track your run against other runners
- Keep a log of all your runs
- Socialise with other Strava users / Follow the Pros / Join Monthly challenges
- Strava Photos, you can add photos directly to an activity
- Find the most popular and competitive segments of road and trails and compete for the crown
- With the addition of other equipment, track your heart rate and give you a "Suffer Score"
Strava really seems to have thought of everything when it comes to a running app. Probably one of the most attractive things about Strava is the ability to feed that competitive urge inside yourself, even when you have no one to run with. As strava not only lets you race against your own personal best, but it also allows you to time yourself against all other runners to record that stretch of road, ranking you among them.
(Premium $7.49 per month / $37.99 per year) Apple Watch Version available
Map My Run is a great app, that is said to have the best route creation tool compared to any other app of its kind. Map My Run is packed full of features which rival many of the other options discussed above, including:
- Exportable maps
- Easy map and route sharing
- Great route overview screens
- Ability to place workouts on a calendar
- List and search events
- Voice messages telling you time and distance (Virtual coach)
The major issue with this app, is to access some of the more useful and ground breaking features including the route creation tool, you must be a subscriber to the full service option. This can be purchased in app for $7.49 per month or $37.99 per year.
(Offers In app Purchases from $12.99-$49.99) Apple Watch Version available
RunKeeper is a great option for tracking a run, with its numerous features, accurate calculations.
RunKeeper allows you to:
- View a large range data and stats including Speed, distance, elevation total run time, etc.
- Chart weight loss / including weigh loss plans
- Distance specific training plans for 5km, 10km ankle the way to Marathon
- View a large range data and stats including Speed, distance, elevation total ride time, etc.
RunKeeper (Like many other running apps) can also be used for other sports, this includes set work outs and cycling speed. It is a very accurate solution to tracking your run and with the ability to sync with MyFitnessPal is it a great tool if one of your main goal is to loose weight.
(Offers In app Purchases from $1.99-$33.99) Apple Watch Version available
Runtastic is another great app for recording your runs using your iPhone. The app has many similar features to those already discussed including:
- A detailed map of your run
- Analyse your activities showing pace / elevation gain
- Personal fitness diary
- Live Tracking and cheering
- Geo Tagging of pictures
- Manually add other styles of workouts inc. Cross fit, treadmills and weight training
- Integrated music player
Runtastic enables you to track critical performance data such as speed, distance, pace and calories usage and can be used for multi sports including running, walking, skiing and cycling. With a new designed interface it is now easier to navigate and has some great features such as the power song feature and interval training option. If you are into multi sports then this app is definitely one to try.
(Offers In App Purchases from $3.79-$22.99)
If you're looking for some extra motivation to get running then Zombies, Run! may be the one for you.
As the title explains this is no normal fitness tracker. Pop your headphones on and start up the app and soon enough the Zombies will come. This is a different take on a a fitness app but don't be put off by this title this app has some uniques features including.
- Immersive running game
- Can be used walking, jogging , running and treadmill
- Great blend between fitness tracker and game design
- Statistics and interval training (only available on pro membership)
This app is not for the die hard runner it lacks some of the elements that would be required to exactly monitor your running statistics. However with over 1 million users Zombies, Run! brings a whole new dimension to the idea of running for your life. The free version gives you limited access but enough to know if you want to jump into a full pro version. This app will make you sweat.
One thing that stays the same is all of these running apps are easily accessible with our Quad Lock Running Kits.